Monday, 27 February 2012 20:09
Games - Games
|← All Too Human: The Anthropocentric Shortcomings of Mass Effect||Sony's PlayStation Vita Sells 1.2 Million Units Worldwide →|
When religion pops up in video games, could they be putting too much of the focus on the violent aspects? According to a study released by the University of Missouri, it’s becoming cause for concern.
The study, released on Monday, concludes that video games present religion in a way which is "problematized.” Doctoral student Greg Perreault looked at five games in the study: Final Fantasy XIII, Mass Effect 2, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Assassin's Creed, and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Perreault found that these games equated religion with violence.
“In most of these games there was a heavy emphasis on a “Knights Templar” and crusader motifs,” Perreault said. “Not only was the violent side of religion emphasized, but in each of these games religion created a of problem that the main character must overcome, whether it is a direct confrontation with religious zealots or being haunted by religious guilt.”
But is this something being done deliberately? “It doesn’t appear that game developers are trying to purposefully bash organized religion in these games,” says Perreault. “I believe they are only using religion to create stimulating plot points in their story lines... Religion appears to get tied in with violence because that makes for a compelling narrative.”
Making a judgement about an entire medium based on a mere five games seems unfair, although Perreault does have point. What do you think? Are games really perpetuating an unfair stigma, or is it one that holds a little bit of truth?
[University of Missouri]
Source: GameranxQuote this article on your site
To create link towards this article on your website,
copy and paste the text below in your page.
When religion pops up in video games, could they be putting too much of the focus on the violent aspects? According to a study released by the University of Missouri, it’s becoming cause...
© 2013 - Screen Rave
|< Previous||Next >|
- Justin Bieber Sued over "Joustin' Beaver" Game
- Origin knows what you bought on Steam
- Sony can't keep up with PSP/PS2 Demand
- PlayStation TV Sold Modestly
- All Too Human: The Anthropocentric Shortcomings of Mass Effect
- Bethesda Looking to Hire "Future Generation Console Programmers"
- Journey Trophy List Revealed, Teases Surprising Gameplay Variety
- Halo 4 Release Date Allegedly Outed By Leaked Teaser [Update: Nope!]
- New MoH: Warfighter Details Include Co-Op, One-Shot-Kill Mode
- This Is What Happens When Chuck Norris Meets Super Mario Bros.